We continue to be the compass of local and international clients on issues that are corporate and commercial, from registration of legal entities including companies, Non-Governmental Organisation and Trusts to guiding clients regulate their business relationships with other legal entities so as to avoid any conflict with statutory laws of Lesotho.
Our corporate and commercial services include the following:
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating of commercial agreements / contracts
- General legal drafting and review
- Registration of Partnerships, Joint Ventures and Companies
- Corporate restructuring
- Corporate governance
- Advise on directors duties
- Advise on Board issues
- Advise on conflict of interest
- Sale and lease agreements for movable and immovable property
- General legal Opinion
- Manufacturing and supply agreements
- Agency agreements
Lesotho laws on Tax is still evolving and we are at an advantage as a firm by virtue of having a managing partner as a part of Lesotho Revenue Appeals Tribunal member.
We offer services on corporate tax that include:
- Tax due diligence
- Tax opinion
- Tax disputes resolutions
- Tax Planning
- Settlement negotiations
- Structuring of commercial transactions
The law in Lesotho is clear that a company secretary must be resident in Lesotho, this coupled with our expertise in corporate law we act as company secretaries and maintain records of many of our clients. SMA is more of a “one stop shop” for compliance and governance.
- Guidance to directors (duties, responsibilities and powers)
- Making directors aware of any law relevant to/affecting company
- Prepare board minutes
- File annual returns
- Provide compliance services
- Ensuring that decisions of the Board are implemented
At Sello-Mafatle Attorneys we believe client is not in the business of engaging and dismissing employees, our services are designed such that clients obtain premium service because of our close relationship with both employer’s associations and employee’s associations so we have latest legislative changes, debates and changes. Our services include;
- Drafting Contracts of Employment
- Dispute Resolution in all their Forms
- Work permits applications
- Retrenchments and Consultations of whatever Form
- Performance appraisals
- Company Governance Structural Review
- Review of Human Resources Policies
- Advice on types of Tax related to labour law– Fringe benefit tax, PAYE
- Severance Pay v Pension v Provident Fund (Super Annuation)
Training, Seminars and Employment Law Updates.
We advise clients on all aspects of property and pride ourselves as being experts in the field as we often expand our knowledge in this field. The field of property in Lesotho needs experts because the estate agents are not regulated as a result it is important to engage experts before an adverse event occurs. We offer the following services;
- Bond cancellation
- Land Acquisitions
- Supervisory Role in land acquisitions
- Dispute Resolutions
- Drafting Land Contracts in all their forms
- Property Management
- Performance of due diligence on land related matters
Apply for building permits
- Drawing up investment portfolio for clients
- All Commercial Matters
- Contract Management (Procurement)
- Company Secretarial duties and supervision thereof
- Review of Governance Policies
- Corporate Governance
- Performance of Due diligence
- Providing advice on immigration issues
SMA has one end in mind; to assist client to get to a solution that satisfies its needs. Our team of experts have experience in effectively briging a case to a resolution through court system, arbitration and Mediation.
Our approach to litigation is that seek first to resolve the matter through alternative disputes resolution if all fails the matter must be placed before courts of law. The firm has been involved in a number of high profile cases and we continue to be relevant in shaping our jurisprudence. Our services include:
- Representing clients at Arbitration proceedings
- Facilitating negotiations and mediation
- Defending and Instituting matters in Magistrate court to Appeal court
In Lesotho the field is rather unexplored and it is very few people are deriving a benefit from their intellectual property rights. As a firm we are taking positive steps towards ensuring that the field grows, our services include:
- IP due diligence
- Registration of Trade Marks
- On behalf of clients we monitor the trade mark registry in an attempt to prevent infringement and avoid a dispute of infringement.
There is one certainty in Life; you will one day depart from this world. SMA assist clients in putting their wishes on paper and ensure that their wishes are secured. Our services include:
- Drafting of wills
- Drafting of spouses and children trusts
- Winding up of deceased estates
- Administration of estates
- Updating of wills
- Safekeeping of wills
The Cannabis industry, in Lesotho, has its roots in the 1961 Single Convention; it is governed by the Drugs of Abuse No. 5 of 2008 and the Drugs of Abuse (Cannabis) Regulations of 2018 (soon to change). At the heart of the Cannabis Legal framework, is ensuring availability of Cannabis for medicinal and scientific purposes whilst avoiding diversion to the illicit market.
As a new industry, in a developing country, the cannabis industry is seen as an engine for growth in Lesotho hence investment climate is very friendly for investors who really understand the industry. There are multiple opportunities in Lesotho from the way an operator licence is structured to the fact that Lesotho has potential to be a hub for research and development in the industry.
As in many jurisdictions, the Cannabis Regulations continue to evolve, and our team of experienced lawyers are available to offer guidance from compliance on Cannabis Regulations to land acquisition for cultivation.
The Services offered by Sello-Mafatle Attorneys in the Cannabis sphere include aid in licence applications, land acquisition, tax advisory, compliance and corporate governance.
At the core if our services is an understanding of the cultural and political dynamics that underpin the industry and its commercial aspects. The reason is simple; Sello-Mafatle Attorneys is a local brand and it has expertise.